This initiative provides current and former Australian elite athletes with meaningful opportunities to connect with the Indigenous community, and learn more about the differing cultures, lands, history and people.
The AIS will partner with organisations that are already delivering programs to youth in these communities, to open up channels for ongoing communication and learning between participants and athletes.
Outcomes for athletes:
Athletes involved in the program will:
- Receive Online Training and resources to assist with topics such as culture sensitivity, communication and mentoring, maximum four hours to be completed remotely by athletes.
- Travel out to a community for a minimum two days and maximum four days depending on the community, to immerse in the culture of that community, learning from the locals in the area and engaging with Indigenous youth through the programs offered by a partnered organisation.
- Once leaving the community, stay in contact through an online video messaging platform that allows for ease of communication between the athletes and the community. An expectation of a minimum ten videos over 12 months; however, athletes will be supported if they choose to communicate more with the community
- Attend a minimum of one community event (facilitated by the AIS) where you can share your learnings from the initiative, whether Indigenous or non-Indigenous events. The AIS will assist you in finding further events to attend if interested and will cover the costs associated with attending. Additionally, organise a minimum of one occasion with your AW&E manager within your sport to present back on learnings to other athletes and staff within your sporting community.
- Promote to your sport on a minimum of one occasion the Indigenous Sporting Land Map that will be hosted on the AIS website as an ongoing resource. Additional promotion through other spheres of influence would be appreciated.
To be confirmed around athlete availability and additional liaison with community. Program will run from January 2020 to December 2020 and will operate around the Olympics and Paralympics for those athletes attending.
For further information about this program or opportunities to be involved please contact email@example.com