Skip to content
Return to top
Lamb shanks with dates & pumpkin
Preparation time20 minutes
Cooking time1.5 hours
- ¼ cup plain flour
- 8 lamb shanks, French trimmed
- oil for cooking
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 400g can chopped tomatoes
- 180g whole pitted dried dates, halved
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 600g butternut pumpkin, cut into 2cm cubes
- small bunch parsley, roughly chopped
- mashed potatoes or crusty bread and vegetables, steamed, to serve (optional)
- Place lamb and flour in plastic bag and shake to coat.
- Heat the oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Cook shanks for 8 minutes or until well browned. Remove and set aside.
- Add onion and garlic and cook for 3 minutes or until onion is tender.
- Return lamb shanks to pan with stock, wine, tomatoes, dates and cinnamon stick, and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes, occasionally turning lamb.
- Add the pumpkin and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes or until the pumpkin is tender and sauce thickens slightly.
- Top with parsley and serve with mashed potato or crusty bread and steamed vegetables.
|ANALYSIS per serve || 4|
| Energy kJ (Cal) || 2152|
| Carbohydrate (g) ||34|
| Protein (g) ||44|
| Fat (g) ||18|
| Saturated fat (g) ||8|
| Fibre (g) ||5|