- 1 cup arborio rice
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 3 cups CARNATION Light & Creamy Evaporated Milk
- 4 red apples, cored and cut into wedges
- 1 cinnamon stick
- pinch saffron threads (optional)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup apple juice
- Place rice and 2 cups water in a saucepan, bring to the boil, without stirring, and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes or until most of water is absorbed.
- Add caster sugar and milk and bring to the boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to prevent sticking, until rice is soft.
- Meanwhile, place remaining ingredients in a saucepan and stir over low heat until brown sugar dissolves.
- Bring to the boil, reduce heat to low and simmer, covered, for 5-10 minutes or until apples are just soft.
- Remove cinnamon stick.
- Serve rice topped with apples and cooking liquid.
Athletes with high fuel needs (e.g. endurance athletes, athletes who are growing, athletes aiming to increase muscle mass) require extra carbohydrate-based ingredients and a larger serve size
Athletes with low fuel needs (e.g. skill-based athletes, athletes trying to reduce body fat) need to opt for a smaller serve size