- 1½ cups self-raising flour
- 1 cup wholemeal self-raising flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsp mixed spice
- 1 cup brown sugar
- ½ cup pecan nuts, chopped
- 2 eggs
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup skim milk
- 250g jar apple sauce
- 3 small carrots, grated
Cream cheese frosting (optional)
- 1¼ cups light spreadable cream cheese
- ¼ cup icing sugar
- 1 tsp each lemon zest and juice
- Preheat oven to 180°C.
- Lightly grease a 23cm round cake tin, and line the base with baking paper.
- Sift flours, bicarbonate of soda and spice into a large bowl. Add husks from sifted flour, and stir in sugar and nuts. Make a well in the centre.
- In another bowl, whisk eggs, oil, milk and apple sauce using a fork, then add to flour mixture. Stir gently until just combined, then stir in carrot.
- Pour into prepared pan, and bake for about 60 minutes or until a skewer or knife inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean.
- Leave in the tin for 5 minutes before turning out on a wire rack to cool. If frosting, wait until the cake is completely cool.
- To make frosting, put cream cheese in a bowl and sift icing sugar over it. Add lemon zest and juice and stir until smooth.