This program will provide current and former elite athletes opportunities to engage with school-based communities to promote positive psychology strategies and improve wellbeing outcomes for young people.
The AIS has partnered with the Black Dog Institute to deliver the BITE BACK program to year 7-10 students across Australia.
BITE BACK is an online positive psychology website for young people, which uses a combination of interactive exercises across nine positive psychology domains; gratitude, optimism, flow, meaning, hope, mindfulness, character, strengths, healthy lifestyles and positive relationships. The program also provides information about the benefits of increasing wellbeing, methods to develop skills in each of the positive psychology domains and access to additional resources for students and schools, and an online discussion.
Outcomes for athletes:
Athletes involved in the program will:
- Attend mandatory face-to-face training and a development session in February 2020 to be equipped with necessary resources and skills to safely deliver presentations.
- Present at a minimum of 10 school visits where you will be required to deliver a 30-45 minute evidence-based wellbeing presentation derived from the BITE BACK program.
- Provide additional follow up and check in with schools through an online platform or face-to-face.
- Promote and encourage students to take part in the BITE BACK program - Mental Fitness Challenge.
- Required to travel to schools in rural and remote areas.
- Attend a minimum of one event or function (facilitated by the AIS or the Black Dog Institute) where you may be required to speak about your experiences in the program. The AIS will assist you in finding further events to attend if interested and will cover costs associated with attending.
- Take part in any program research and evaluation, sharing learnings and insights as required.
- Organise a minimum of one occasion with your AW&E manager within your sport to present back on learnings to other athletes and staff within your sporting community.
February 2020 – December 2020.
For further information about this program or opportunities to be involved please contact email@example.com